Monday, January 26, 2009

The Idolatry of Misplaced Hope...

Hope...a word that evokes thoughts of my Saviour, Jesus Christ. He alone is my hope, my salvation and my everything. I cannot imagine placing my trust, my hope or my desires into anything other than Him but I find I still perform some act of idolatry almost daily. Having an idol is merely looking to something or someone else other than God alone. It's not always the golden calf image that wrecks our loyalty to Jesus. It can be more subtle in things like our personal 'image', people liking us, money, spouses, jobs and so on. Anything that takes precedence over Christ can easily become an idol. Sadly, we often become much like those things in which we place our trust.

As I've watched news bytes, sound clips and read various articles over the recent inauguration events, I have been struck by how much misplaced hope there is and especially so among professing Christian's. I do not understand how/why anyone can place hope on the shoulders of any man (or woman) who cannot bear the weight of the government. I remember reading somewhere that Jesus handles all of that. Now, before you get yourself in a tussie, please know I am not saying God fell asleep or was napping on the job when our elections came around. Nothing has taken Him by surprise and I am so thankful for that! Our hope is never to be placed in a man or woman, no matter what his/her belief's are, no matter how many promises are made and no matter who that person believes in, even if that person is a Christian. To do so, is honestly another form of idolatry and it can be so subtle, clad with dreams of change, aspirations and so forth.

What concerns me is I see and hear so many people are placing their hope in a man and any human ability to bring them hope or change to their everyday life. This in itself bothers me. Have we opted to hear only the words of our own hearts desire? I am so amazed how much like the Israelites we have become. Remember in the Old Testament, where Israel demanded a King? This was not God's first intention or His desire for that place was to be His alone. Yet, He gave His children what they asked for and that tradition has been handed down for generations. It's almost like God Himself, the Creator of the Universe is somehow not enough for us. Oh yes, we say things like how we know God is with us or is out there for us but instead of running into His open arms, we choose to run towards a man, an office or a title. If I consider (trust) another human being, his/her ability or policies to somehow bring me hope, then I have betrayed my Jesus.

According to Scripture in Matthew 10:34-39, the Bible says Christ same to divide; to separate, if you will, good from evil, good things from the best things and man things from Godly things. It reminds me of a test of sorts - something to make clear where one's loyalty may rest:
Matthew 10:34-39 (Amplified Bible)
Do not think that I have come to bring peace upon the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to part asunder a man from his father, and a daughter from her mother, and a
newly married wife from her mother-in-law-And a man's foes will be they of his own household.He who loves [and takes more pleasure in] father or mother more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me; and he who loves [and takes more pleasure in] son or daughter more than [in] Me is not worthy of Me; And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me.
Whoever finds his [
lower] life will lose it [the higher life], and whoever loses his [lower] life on My account will find it [the higher life].
Is Jesus enough for you? Do you trust Him enough to run to Him for everything? Will you be or are you loyal to Him alone? To whom do you place your trust, your hope? It is in verse 38 where it really strikes me. "And he who does not take up his cross and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conforming wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also] is not worthy of Me. To what or whom do I cleave? Is it my spouse, my children, my life, my political affiliation, my church? Do I conform to His example? Do I conform wholly? Is there any part of myself where I place hope in someone or something OTHER than Christ? Examination begins from within but not without the Light of Christ to bring everything out into the open. Lord, Jesus help me!
Now, I do believe we should pray for those in government. Just realize there is a subtlety that exists to place our trust in government, in systems or in man. This flies in the very face of our loyalty to Christ alone. Kingdoms will rise and kingdoms will fall but Jesus Christ and HIS Kingdom will stand forever. I long for purity of heart, purity of Spirit and purity in my obedience to the Master. Only by His grace, His love and mercy can I continue the journey towards being His.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Wow, an excellent reminder, Cheryl, thanks.