Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Do I please Him?

I have asked myself this question many times and know I have both failed and succeeded. Pleasing the Master is something I hold dear too but all too often can get caught up in the action of doing rather than the place of being. There is quite a fine line, isn't there? As humans, we typically don't 'wait' well, feeling like we must do something to spur God into action. It pains us to see our circumstances seemingly swallow us up while God sits back and doesn't do anything. I have found, however, this is exactly when He is doing the most work but I either can't or won't see it. And it is in these times, we are looking more through our fleshly eyes than our spiritual ones.

Pursuing intimacy with Jesus is my hope. At times, however, I find myself too buried in the pursuit of Him instead of merely being with Him. It's an action that has plagued generations before me as well. I don't just want to know about the Lord, I want to KNOW HIM. And so subtle is the difference! Lately, God has brought to mind many times where my pursuit of learning more about Him and His word took precedence over truly knowing Him, His character, His very being. Now, I know that I cannot fully grasps the depths of His reasoning's for He is so much grander than I, larger than my small concept of life and so above the feeble attempts I make in thought. But, such a relief that is!

Blind trust is not something most folks can do easily. Believing God has that better way ahead is easy to agree with in the beginning but when things don't happen in a certain order or within our specified time frames, we get a little nervous. Am I hearing from God? Am I hearing myself instead? Questions of doubt plague our minds over and over again, sometimes to the point of abandoning the wait altogether somehow convinced we missed it. So often, we fall back on what is familiar and comfortable, trading what is new and unexpected for the traditions or teachings we have grown accustomed to. This safety zone is a threat to the very Life within us because it is during this time of waiting we develop a trust and utter desperate dependency on the Lord. Any hint of ourselves or own ability must be dealt with in contemplative prayer to the Lord. We must abandon our need to 'do' something (i.e. perform) and allow the Light of Christ to perfect us, to work within us as He sees fit. His will, after all, is our sole desire.

Pleasing the Lord never requires us to do something for Him. After all, He is God and needs not our help, our assistance or our input. I recall the words of Oswald Chambers warning us "Beware of anything that competes with loyalty to Jesus Christ. The greatest competitor of devotion to Jesus is service for Him. It is easier to serve than to be drunk to the dregs. The one aim of the call of God is the satisfaction of God, not a call to do something for Him." How many times have you been told or taught that your loyalty to someone is measured by the amount your service? Hmm...works comes to mind here! I always thought my loyalty to Christ would be measured more by my love for Him than what I can do for Him. He doesn't need anything from me. He does, however, ask for my life, my love, my will, everything there is about me - after all, He first gave all of that to me so that I could truly live. And I am so thankful for that!

One other thought that comes to mind is about misplaced loyalty. Some would argue Christian's are to be loyal to their families, their friends, their Pastor, their Church but rarely does one hear a calling to be loyal only to Christ. Now, while all being loyal to all of those people may be a good thing, I would argue it that it completes directly with our loyalty to Christ. His word clearly says that you cannot serve both God and man.
Luke 16:13 (Amplified Bible)
No servant is able to serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will stand by and be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon (riches, or
anything in which you trust and on which you rely).
Do you see the subtle danger in putting a good thing in place of the best thing? This battle between our flesh and the pursuit of good things verses our spirit and the pursuit of the best thing rages on behind the scenes. The best thing(s) can only found in our relationship with Jesus Christ. No exceptions and you cannot have it both ways. You cannot compromise your loyalty based upon what someone tells you - I would say to search the scriptures for the Truth you are seeking. Anything that I have written, please do NOT take it as truth just because you may agree with it. Search His word, test all things and hold fast to what is good. I pray God filters my words by His word and, where I need correction, I pray His Holy Spirit delivers that and I receive it accordingly.
After all, I want to please my Master. I do not wish to grieve Him in word, thought or action. I pray the Holy Spirit bring to mind the times when I fail Him and bring me to that precious place of repentance before Him. I can see why the Puritan's often prayed for the 'gift of tears' and how being open to conviction, having a soft heart before the Lord is the place to be. May we be humbled in the sight of the Lord, a knowing that His grace is what saves us and what we must cling too. That is my prayer today and may my heart always sing...
All the way, my Savior leads me, who have I to ask beside?
How could I doubt His tender mercy, who through life has been my guide?
All the way, my Savior leads me, and cheers each winding path I tread,
And gives me grace for every trial, feeds me with the Living Bread.
All the way, my Savior leads me. O, the fullness of His love.
O the sureness of His promise, in the triumph of His blood.
When my spirit clothed immortal, wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages, Jesus leads me all the way.
Jesus, me all the way!
You lead me, and keep me from falling
You carry me, close to your heart
And surely your goodness and mercy will follow me
It will follow me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Hello, I'm visiting from Thistle Cove Farm in southwest VA. My people are from Webster and Nicholas Counties and my brother lives in Randolph County.
I surfed here from The Black Sheep Cottage and have enjoyed my visit. You remind me of David, "a man after God's own heart".
What a great blog title!
P. S. I'm posting as Thistle Cove Farm - www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com and am too computer stupid to get it to post instead of 'my' county blog. Sorry.

Pam said...

Dear Cheryl, You must have an intercessor's heart as you always manage to keep us honest with your posts. Thank you as you continue to challenge us.
I best go as the sheep are all staring at the house. It must be supper time. Their honesty is unrelenting.
Blessings, Pam

Pam said...

I love the warmth of your new blog page!!