Wednesday, February 11, 2009

In the Silence...

Silence - why do we run from it? Why do we turn away from the 'absence of sound or noise'? Being quiet or silent implies a sense of stillness - devoid of or abstaining from motion.; uttering no sound. It is a place where 'we' must cease to exist. When we remain here, the focus can shift from ourselves to Jesus. Ecclesiastes 3:7 says there is "a time to keep silence, and a time to speak". We have so concentrated on our speaking, we have forgotten the joy of silence.

This is a place in life where I am welcoming silence. Distractions have been plentiful and there indeed comes a time when we must either pull ourselves away from all the 'noise' or we will get caught up in it. Jesus set the perfect example when He walked this earth and would frequently get away to be with the Father. Sometimes, in order to hear the Father, we need to be quiet and listen; to abstain from motion and utter no sound. Honesty prevails in silence.

In the Silence
by Jason Upton
Tired of telling You, You have me, when I know You really don't
Tired of telling You I'll follow, when I know I really won't
'Cause I'd rather stand here speechless, with no great words to say,
If my silence is more truthful and my ears can hear how to walk in Your way.
In the silence, You are speaking
In the quiet, I can feel the fire
And it's burning, burning deeply
Burning all, it is that You desire to be silent, in me.
Oh, Jesus, can You hear me? My soul is screaming out,
And my broken will cries teach me what Your Kingdom's all about.
Unite my heart to fear You, to fear Your Holy Name,
And create a life of worship, in the spirit and truth of Your loving ways.
In the silence, You are speaking
In the quiet, I can feel the fire
And it's burning, burning deeply
Burning all, it is that You desire to be silent, in me.

1 comment:

Heather said...

This has moved me so much, Cheryl. It was exactly what I needed to hear tonight. Thank you.