Saturday, January 9, 2010

How are you, Madrina?

Today, I received a letter from the little boy I sponsor in Honduras through Manos Extendidas. His name is Josue and he will 8 years old in April. I got to meet him for the first time in August of 2008 while on a mission trip to the capital city of Tegucigalpa. Josue was quiet and shy, barely mustering a quick hug before dashing out the door with his lunch in hand. That was kind of unexpected to me, as I had hoped to sit with him for a few moments and introduce myself. I had brought a small gift with me and really wanted to watch him open it. But, that was not happening that day. Isn't it funny how kids can surprise us?

Anyway, I was so blessed with his letter, I wanted to share my joy with you:

Hi, how are you Sponsor? I hope that God shines His light of blessings upon you. That is my greatest wish. I want to tell you that I am in the first grade. I do all my homework and get good notes from the school. I am very happy to know you. Thank you for the present you gave me when you were here and thank you for your hugs. It made me happy. I care for you will all my heart and since Christmas has already come, I want to wish you happy Easter as well, next to the people that surround you. Those are my true wishes.

The word "sponsor" is translated by these children as Madrina, which really means Godmother. I was not aware of that until my last trip and when you introduce yourself as Madrina, the children know exactly what you are talking about. I guess the ministry partners who share the hearts of those who want to help them, the name sponsor seems kind of formal.

Josue goes to regular school, which requires shoes & uniforms. Although education in Honduras is free to the 5th grade, if you cannot afford shoes or cannot buy (or make) the uniform, you cannot attend. Education is huge need in Honduras. Without it, the circle of poverty and enslavement to its vicious cycle seems bleak.

The Christian ministry of Manos Extendidas' Child Sponsorship Program is one I have seen work first-hand. There are no 'extra' or cushy expenses, no salaries to pay and certainly no 'fluff' you see in many organizations of this nature. 100% of the monies go directly to the day care and feeding program. For many, this meal may be the only food a child receives each day. The monies go into supporting the children in five(5) main areas:

  1. Education (spiritual and academic)

  2. Medical/Dental

  3. Food

  4. Clothing

  5. Emergency Fund

There are many ways you can impact your sponsored child. First and foremost is to pray for them. There are many battles they must face, spiritual and otherwise. Your prayers protect them in ways you will not always know. Writing a letter, sending a photo or small gift makes their day! Don't worry if you don't speak Spanish ~ there are folks there who will gladly help translate your letter for you.

Want to know more? Visit http://www.mehonduras.org or just email me!

1 comment:

Cary ~ My Wool Mitten at Serenity Farms said...

Oh Cheryl, what a lovely letter! Thank you for sharing ;)