Friday, February 8, 2008

Disciples vs. Followers...


“Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus has set for their reunion. The moment they saw Him, they worshiped Him. Some though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally.”
Matthew 28:16-17, The Message Remix


After reading this verse thru many times, I have to wonder which of the disciples held back and for how long? It isn’t written in the scriptures so I would imagine I may not discover the answer to this question until Eternity. Did they risk everything to become a disciple or did they "hold back" and remain in a place of following from a distance?

The Lord laid the word “disciple” on my heart this week and I was wowed by the number of times it was used in the New Testament. But I also noticed the word “followers” and rarely were they used interchangeably. It seems that the differences in these words were used to describe the commitment level of those closest to Jesus during His ministry. There were many who followed Him, but fewer real disciples. I think this is an issue within the Body of Christ even today.

A “follower” is defined as “…a person who follows another person’s beliefs or teachings…”. Pretty vague, if you ask me and seriously no depth whatsoever. Unfortunately, there are many, many followers in churches today who follow a man or a woman, rather than Christ alone. I can think of a long time within my own life where I fell into this category. Sure, I liked the “get out of hell” ticket I possessed but I knew little about Jesus Christ, the Person. I knew Him as the One who saved me, YES, but I had not given Him my entire life. After all, I viewed that as “mine” and I could do with it whatever I wanted. It reminds me all too well of my Baptist upbringing in that the church I was raised in always referred to Christianity as Jesus being “Lord and Savior”. I had publicly professed Him as Lord over all and as my personal Savior, but I never once considered the requirement (yes, it does require willing surrender to die daily) of making Him Lord over the totality ofmy own life. That, I thought, was a little ambiguous, if not totally over the edge in what I was ever taught.

Disciples – those were the people in the Bible who walked with Christ on a daily basis. Webster’s defines a disciple as “…a learner, one who is able to comprehend or hold fast (in the faith)…”. Ever notice in scripture how Christ had people who followed Him, wanting to see miracles or be taught by Him? They wanted to be healed, delivered or set free themselves but once they had their need met, you never heard too much more about them. I’m not sure why additional details were not written about them but you know they had lives they lived, people they encountered daily and so on. Do you ever wonder what happened to them AFTER they had received from God? I do.

When Christ gave the Great Commission, His words were…

“Go, therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age. Amen”
Matthew 28:19-20, New King James Bible

Same scripture, from The Message Remix…

“…God authorized and commanded Me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and wide, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age”
Matthew 29:19-20, The Message Remix

Followers do not disciple, they are imitating their teacher. A noble thing, yes, and it is possibly even safe to say a “good” thing. We ARE to reflect Jesus in everything but we are not merely to stop there. Christian’s must, at some point, move into discipleship. When you grow in your relationship with the Lord, He reveals things to you, He leads and guides you – He is training you! Yet, His purpose is not purely for your own benefit but for the benefit of others.

“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand – shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in Heaven.”
Matthew 5:14-16, The Message Remix

Why are we so happy to “sit and dine” after we have been filled? We indulge ourselves to the point of growing fat, lazy and complacent because we become comfortable at the table. It’s hard work to get into the fields, to harvest and no one seems to be as willing to labor for the Kingdom of God as they are willing to eat of Him. There is a time for both! You cannot labor without first being filled up with His goodness just as you cannot be filled up if you are only laboring. Once you are filled, however, it is time to GET UP from the table! As John 4:35 puts it, “Open your eyes and take a good look at what’s right on front of you…fields are ripe, it’s harvest time!”

Disciples are followers first but they don't stop in imitating their teacher. The danger there is the follower becomes content with the association with Jesus without committing to the sacrifice of becoming a disciple. A true disciple, one who develops a personal, devoted relationship, chooses to willingly lay down their own life for the sake of Christ, His call, His will and His desire. They literally cease to exist apart from Christ.

“Don’t look for short cuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easy going formula’s for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don’t fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life – to GOD! – is vigorous and requires total attention.”
Matthew 7:13-14, The Message Remix


And as I close today, a more familiar translation speaks volumes…

“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.” Matthew 7:13-14, New King James version

No comments: