Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Mirrors of reflection...

Jacob sheep are always spotted and each one is completely different in its markings and appearance. Even in twin or triplet births, each sheep has some variation in its spotting pattern. Even more interesting is the fact that while Jacobs appear to be white sheep with black spots, their DNA reveals they are black sheep with white spots or a pie-bald pattern. That is weird!

As I shepherdess, I have grown accustomed to recognizing each of my sheep and I know them by name. Even with a flock exceeding 80 animals, I am still able to look at the sheep and instantly know who he/she is and who their parents are. Often times, there is a striking resemblance from parent to off spring, but not always.

And, as always, I am reminded that God is in everything. In Genesis 1:26, “God spoke: ‘Let Us make human beings in Our image, make them reflecting Our nature..’ ” (The Message Remix).With the vast number of people on this planet, it is still God’s intent that humans are created in the image of God, in His likeness, reflecting His nature. Before salvation, we identify only with ourselves, our own desires, wants and dreams. When we have surrendered our life to Christ, we behold His glory and therefore become mirrors of Him, which was His desire all along.

Long ago, a mirror was referred to as a “looking glass”, something to gaze into and see a reflection of the one who stands in front of it. Do you remember the first time you looked into a mirror? Most likely, the ones who raised you could share some revealing details about that first encounter! Isn’t that the way God does it too? He looks deep within us and knows every intimate detail, every secret and every fear we hold. After all, He created us!

“Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you.
Before you saw the light of day, I had holy plans for you:
A prophet to the nations – that’s what I had in mind for you.”
Jeremiah 1:5, The Message Remix

Incredible to try and comprehend, isn’t it? So many people but God knows them all, He created them, breathed Life into them and longs for them to know Him. Religion is not the answer. Religious people know all about God but they do not know Him for who He is. Christianity is having a relationship with Jesus Christ as one’s personal Lord and Saviour – this means you answer to Him in everything. Many people come to Christ and willingly give Him their heart for salvation and gift of spending eternity with Him in Heaven. Why then are so few of the same people not willing to make Him Lord? I think it boils down to who is in control, which as I have said before, is highly overrated!

Although I have not fully reached walking in total fullness, I am longing to reach that place! I only desire that, when others look at me, they do not see Cheryl but Jesus Christ revealed in me. I must remain transparent before Him so that the world no longer sees any part of myself, my name or what I used to be. His light must be able to shine thru my emptiness. I must be poured out of everything I exist of in order for Him to complete His good work. In looking thru the scratched, broken shell of what remains, the world should see the reflection of Jesus Christ. Nothing else matters.

No comments: